Q. Hello. Doc. My husband is a primary school teacher. He suffers from severe constipation. He has had an anal fissure (previously treated, now resolved) and frequent discomfort / bloating due to the hard stool. Can you please advise some some natural home remedies for this constipation my question basically is What makes you poop instantly ?
- Consume more water. The simplest remedy !!!
- Try to eat early before going to bed. You should be done with all kinds of eating at least 3 hours before going to sleep at night.
- Screen your medication with the help of your doctor e.g many drugs such as Tramadol, Metronidazole ,Naproxen etc can lead to severe constipation. Alternatives can be advised in this regard, in consultation with your doctor.
- Avoid animal proteins and fat for a few weeks to see for improvement in the symptoms of constipation
- Avoid junk food, fast food, refined sugar, bakery items initially. They can be resumed in moderation once the bowels normalize.
- Exercise regularly and try to be as mobile as possible
- Try psyllium which is a non fermentable soluble fiber. It can be added to Milk or sprinkled over yogurt. Increasing the amount of fiber can worsen the symptoms of some people with constipation or irritable bowel syndrome and can be tried on a trial basis.
- Probiotic supplement can be added to see if there is any beneficial response. They have been tried with mixed results where they work for some individuals but others report no real change.
- Coffee can be taken as a gut stimulant and relieve constipation.
- Senna is a herbal gut stimulant and laxative
- Prunes and prune juice , containing sorbitol is an effective laxative.
- 3 teaspoons of castor oil mixed with warm milk. This remedy should not be used regularly rather it should be reserved for cases in which there is severe constipation and instant relief is required.
- Boil 10 seedless grapes in milk and consume it. It will help in instant relief.
- Aloe Vera gel mixed with strawberries, honey, green apple, cucumber and spinach is a wonderful and delicious smoothie and helps in instant relief of constipation.
- One easy method that works in a number of my patients is banning dairy products including cheese, milk, yogurt etc altogether. Many people are lactose intolerant to a degree that the only symptom is constipation and bloating with dairy products without knowing it and this simple change can lead to marked improvement.
- Include the following in your diet one by one to see for empirical results. All of them have been traditionally used as remedies for constipation. You can try anyone of them based on your preference and their availability.
- Figs, Flax seeds, Lin seeds, Fennel seeds, Pears, Guava, Spinach, Black strap molasses, papaya, brown rice, green leafy vegetables, blueberries and strawberries.
Hope this Helps
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any other query
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil